Metformin has gained recognition as the most popular oral anti-diabetic medication. It was created by the medical concern Merck Serono, however, after its patent had expired, due to the vast popularity of the treatment, it became available in numerous generic versions.
Metformin is particularly recommended for patients who suffer from type 2 diabetes, and obesity which accompanies this condition.
- It causes a reduction in body weight
- It has been used since late 1950s
- It reduces blood glucose levels
- It decreases the risk of cancer
- Active ingredient: 500 mg metformin hydrochloride